Have super ripe bananas laying around?? Then it’s time to make some muffs! These jazzed up banana wheat muffins are delicious for a breakfast accompaniment or midday snack full of nutrients. Bananas are full of nutrients like probiotics, potassium, & fiber. They’re also easy on the wallet being a super affordable produce item adding some sweetness into life here & there. Another perk, they’re super quick & easy. It only takes 30min from start to finish with just 2 bowls. I love making this recipe not only because they’re super delicious, but I also just really like mashing bananas for some reason.
No refined sugar is used in this recipe thanks to the delicious magic of ripe bananas & one of my favorite natural sweeteners that isn’t seen as often… date syrup consisting of just one ingredient: dates. There’s a reason why dates have taken on the nickname as nature’s candy & I think ripe bananas could hop right into that boat too. Along with their tasty sweetness, dates are also rich in antioxidants, iron, & provide a good source of fiber as well. Talk about some “candy” with perks.
We don’t just stop at the date syrup, but these muffs are packed with dried dates; An essential component that really bumps it up a notch. Since the batter itself is lightly sweetened while having that heartier flavor from the whole wheat flour, the chopped date pieces add that pop of sweetness in every bite!
- Bananas – The key to extra yummy banana breads, super ripe bananas. Let’em get ugly. The sugar content increases as bananas ripen so the dark the better for peak sweetness & they’ll also be easier to mash. Banana puree could be used for extra smooth banana if desired
- Date Syrup – If you don’t have date syrup, honey is a good substitute. Other sugars could be used instead as well like brown sugar
Whole Wheat Banana Date Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs (roomtemp)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup date syrup
- 2 lg. ripe bananas
- 10-12 dates chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Set up a 12 count muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, & nutmeg in bowl to combine. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Then add the canola oil, vanilla, & date syrup whisking to combine.
- Mash the bananas with a fork until mostly smooth then add to the wet ingredients.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients & the milk in 2 stages to the wet ingredients. Stop mixing when ingredients are incorporated. Stir in add in chopped dates.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin pan into 12 muffins.
- Bake for about 15 minutes in the middle of the oven until the tops are poofy & slightly golden.
- Remove to cooling rack & enjoy!