Dreaming of Italian villas in the countryside surrounded by fresh herbs & the beautiful sound of the waves crashing against cliffs?? This is the picture that comes to mind as the ingredients meld together over the stove with savory aromas of rosemary, cured meat, & hearty grain. Delish! Transport the tasty flavors of the Italian countryside into your home all wrapped up into this cozy bowl of Tuscan Farro Soup.
What makes this soup Tuscan??
Herbs– there nothing that says Italian countryside more than a selection of fresh cut herbs. We include fresh chopped rosemary, thyme, & whole bay leaves
Farro– a traditional Italian whole wheat grain with a subtle nutty flavor & hearty texture
Greens– I like to use fresh spinach torn into pieces but kale also makes for an excellent option
Ham– Cured meats are commonly used through Italian cuisine. We add ham hocks to this soup which adds a saltiness as well as a light smoky flavor complimenting the other fresh ingredients
Lentils– small legumes that are popular among the Mediterranean countries adding heartiness & another level of flavor to dishes
Tuscan Farro Soup
- 3 lg. carrots
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 12 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 10cups chicken broth
- 5 oz. farro
- 5 oz. lentils
- 2 ham hocks
- 6 oz. spinach
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary (minced)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme (minced)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- salt to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Chop the carrots into half moon sized pieces; about a 1/2 inch.
- Sauté the chopped onion for 5 minutes until translucent in color. Add the chopped carrots & garlic saluting for 3 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, & ham hocks to the pot & bring to a simmer.
- Once at a slow simmer, add in the lentils, farro, spinach, & herbs.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for 45 min. to 1 hour. The carrots & lentils should be tender.
- Still in the black pepper & enjoy with a crusty baguette