One of my go-to flavor combos when I make oatmeal in the mornings is honey, peanut butter, & cinnamon. Cozy, gooey, slightly sweet, delish! As much as I love sitting at the table enjoying a steamy bowl of oatmeal in the morning, some busy days call for a quick grab & go muffin. So here we have it, my bowl of oatmeal in a muff!
So why sweet potato??
Ok, I know sweet potato is not usually in my go-to oatmeal, so why add it in the muff?? There are so many nutritious benefits & satiety qualities of these taters for a fuel-packed breakfast or snack. My sweet potato relationship first started in college when I realized I could make hearty, nutritious, & affordable meals centered around sweet potatoes. After my college days, I kept cooking regularly with sweet potatoes realizing just how diverse of a food they were & started adding them into baking recipes, pastas, & all of the above. My husband & I now forever have sweet potatoes in our kitchen.
The sweet potato is a power ingredient here as it adds a bit of sweetness while keeping the muffin nice & moist. Not to mention, this potato packs some vitamins & minerals like beta carotene along with fiber from the oats, anti-inflammatory properties from the cinnamon & honey, & the peanut butter will keep you satisfied throughout the morning. Now that’s how I like to start my day!
TIP: These muffins are perfect to make if you have leftover sweet potatoes from the night before. Pumpkin puree could also be substituted for the sweet potato.
Sweet Potato PB Muffins with Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. old fashioned oats
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c. sweet potato (mashed)
- 1/2 peanut butter
- 1/4 c. butter (melted)
- 1 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, & cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until pale yellow. Add in the honey, butter, & vanilla & whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture in two increments stirring in between until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the peanut butter & mashed sweet potato.
- Scoop batter in 12 muffins & bake until tops are poofy & tester comes out with a couple crumbs. About 20 minutes.